The projects and activities of the Privacy Sub-Committee are designed to maximize the collaborative relationship that exists within the sub-committee. In particular, the Privacy Sub-Committee structures its projects to ensure effective exchange of information, sharing of best practices and ideas to achieve best economies of scale in privacy assessment and management. Since the Privacy Subcommittee also plays an advisory and community of experts’ role, the sub-committee keeps abreast of any new legislation, polices, breaches and issues such as the emergence of Web 2.0 and its impact on government. It also shares best practices in the area of community renewal in addition to awareness, training and communications.
The Privacy Sub-Committee reports to the Joint Councils of the Public Sector Chief Information Officer Council (PSCIOC) and the Public Sector Service Delivery Council (PSSDC). Membership includes representation from the federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments. Sub-committee members are from government bodies that provide central access and privacy services (advice, policy, legislative support) for government, along with several major federal government departments.
The mandate of the Privacy Sub-Committee is to:
- provide a national forum for the exchange of information relating to access to information/Freedom of Information and privacy research, best practices, training, IT products, and other resources, in support of public sector programs and objectives;
- support the mission of the PSCIOC “to enable enhanced service to the Canadian public through collaboration across governments and demonstrated leadership in the management of information and technology”; and,
- support the mandate of the PSSDC to “share information, develop partnerships and facilitate potential solutions that can be used to improve public sector service delivery” by playing a leadership and coordination role in matters related to access to information and privacy protection.
The Privacy Sub-Committee is working on the following projects/activities:
- Improving the Privacy Toolbox repository;
- Developing privacy guidelines for Social Media use in the public sector;
- Developing Core Competencies for access and privacy functions in the public sector; and,
- Maintaining a watching brief/ information sharing on key privacy-related issues.
Please click here to access the full repository of the Privacy Sub-Committee. Access is granted to members’ only. Password required.